1. Music videos demonstrate genre characteristics
2. There is a relationship between the lyrics and the visuals
3. There is a relationship between the music and the visuals
4. Demands for a record label would be to have many close ups of the artist.
5. There is often inter textual references to T.V shows or other music videos. A good example of an artist who does this a lot is Eminem regarding Micheal Jackson
6. There is normally voyeuristic treatment to the female body.
Vernallis theory on music videos
there is 4 key concepts on a music video these include:
- Camera movement and framing
Goodwin and Vernallis believe without these conventions / rules a music video would be very difficult to construct to a good standard. I agree with this as i feel these concepts are the body of a good music video and without them there will be no relation between the video and the audio.